Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Fondant Schmondant

So that brings us to course 3....which I just finished on Monday...
This was BY FAR my favourite class..not cuz it was any more interesting than the other classes but because with all the cake TV shows that people see these days, it takes a lot to impress people.

Fondant impresses people......

Class 1 we just played around with fondant, my teacher mixed things up a bit and decided to teach us the rose first so we would have enough time to make 40 for our final cakes.
True to form however, I made my roses 2 days before....oh well :) at least they turned out gorgeous, but that's later :)
The big tub of purple fondant I bought a few weeks ago, came in handy.
So for the first class we learned to make the rose and the leaves that accompany it
Sooooo presenting my first fondant rose ever:
*awwww*
it's cute right?? I was pretty proud of it...but considering it took a whole 2 hour class to get it done....I was none too excited for the finale cake....


Class 2: Covering a cake in fondant
I found this cake to be super fun.....plus its really versatile....u can switch the colours around for any occassion that requres gifts lol....i.e. the BEST kinds lol
It's supposed to be a white package with a pink bow, but c'mon when have I ever followed convention.
I combined my two fav colours of the moment royal purple and teal to make a cake for a 16 year old's birthday. I gave this cake away...But i was told it was delicious. Because I gave the cake away, I didn't want to be stuck using Wilton (7$ a pound!!!!!!!!!) fondant that NOONE likes....i made my own....
This in itself, I'm pretty darn proud of....it took a few tries and the one I used on the present cake was actually a MMF/ Wilton blend...so it tasted great but still handled well. My new Kitchen Aid is getting such a workout....


When i look at the pics theres always stuff i see that I didnt see when I was caught up in the excitement, and I wish I could go fix. But hey, not bad right??
PS see that lovely 5$ fondant smoother? TOTALLY got pilfered by one of the retirees in my class......
sticky fingers mcgee...i will find you.



Armed with my new knowledge of marshmallow fondant and cake covering....I altered the present cake and made a side project of a birthday cake for a 3 yr old....It wasn't needed anymore but I made it anyway and changed it.



Class 3.....
missed this cuz i threw my back out.....at 23....yeh i know...wtf??!
However, when i got mobility back I got cracking on my roses for finale cake.....prove I'm not a cake slacker lol
I made my buds and let them dry

Then hightailed it to my family for a visit and luckily for me they have a full kitchen...
It took me two days
But! I got them done.... :)

My little cousin made the pink one :) my little apprentice.....I don't think she knows I'm grooming her to be a CakeyThings (c) grunt worker
*diabolical laugh*



Class4

Determined to be my teacher's pet...I ended up in class early.......yeh a whole HOUR early.....
gave me enuff time to realise that my gorgeous roses definitely didnt have the green stem part...nor leaves....and i did think to myself that weekend "Hmm when r we going to make the flower that this cutter is for?" so I do't have an excuse other than pure forgetfulness
sighhhhhh
I got like 10 leaves done and 3 stems before I realised....it just wasnt going to work
lol then I realised I dint have to try to be teachers pet at all......There were only 2 ppl left in the class :) myself included.
I felt like a cake gladiator....I made it *Rocky music*
and I made this.....

oh wait..the cake is a story by itself...
I was having one of those days with the cake..I got home from my family's at 10 pm....Started baking at 11. I made a WASC cake which was
very good...nice subtle almond flavour...held up well under the weight of the fondant and pillars
Then I realisedI didnt have enough fondant to cover the cake. It''s midnight....and I don't think Walmart carries fondant....so I had to make my own again....

Covering the cakes in fondant was a freaking NIGHTMARE and I don't think I have yelled the F word so many times at a sugary dough before.
By the time it was covered I could not give a damn in the least anymore and I overdecorated my way into a decent looking cake

So onto class time!
we learned the ruffle border (oh buttercream how i missed thee! nom nom nom) which is really quite *darling* and i loved that my top tier looked like a little baby bonnet.....for a very flat headed baby...

Aw....

So the construction:
And my finished cake!

yay!! I have more angles of it but i think this post is getting long enough :)
But here's 2 more pics
How I got it out the classroom:

And what the office workers did to it


yay I got compliments!

Next up: Fondant and gumpaste and I signed up for a 2 day class in French Pastries :) exciting!

No comments:

Post a Comment