Tuesday, September 22, 2009

All Hail Wilton

Ok so
I'm pretty bad at the whole regular blogging thing,
did not realise LOL.
So since my first disaster cake, I decided it would be best not to cheat anymore. I'm actually finishing up course 3 right now, would u believe? As a short synopsis I shall post here the results of each class and my opinion LOL
here goes:
Course 1 Class 2
So this was supposed to be the infamous clown cake. As I love to procrastinate, I of course did not ge the fugly clown heads. Thank jeebus, cuz that cake is scary as hell. i would prefer to do a cute hippo or something, like really, who is ever going to ask me for a scary as all hell clown cake.....ok i can think of a few people, but unless you teach me how to make colorflow blood puddles around them, it ain't happening. I got to do fun drop flowers instead.... I did learn the striping technique tho! look how purty my flowers are. Yes, I realise the colour coordination is wonky, I'm workin on that.....
BUT I am impressed with how smooth my buttercream was...simply because this cake was another horror story when I tried to take it out the pan....
so lesson learnt: NEVER use a boxed cake mix (unless it's been doctored) and really invest in some non stick pans..(which i got 50% off at A.C Moore...can I get a what what??)
I really dont remember who ate this cake, I don't believe I did. Maybe the bf did....i dunno.....this is gonna bug me for the rest of the night LOL



Class 4!
So we finished learning the Wilton rose....*ooooooh* ...I feel like gasps of awe are necessary when I say that because such a to-do is made over the rose I feel like it deserves it. You learn the rose over the span of 3 classes....it's an art...
For this class, we were supposed to bring in an iced cake, whatever colour, with borders and dots. So i woke up that morning and did just that.
So here's my class 4 cake, with wilton roses *aaaaaaahhhh*

Isn't it pretty! I love that it seems like a baby shower cake.

COURSE 2
So Imma be honest, this course was a nice break from course 1 but there's no cake involved!!! WTF? the only fun part was the final class when we learned the basketweave technique and finally got to decorate a freakin cake. every other class was learning flowers.....which I guess has its merit and is ALOT harder than it looks, but I like the instant gratification of seeing a finished cake. This classs made me wait four weeks, and I am not famour for my patience :)
Here are my flowers, I only like a few of them. I learnt the hard way that when they say lay a damp towel over the royal icing container, they mean DAMP, not drenched. My icing was super melty so my stuff didnt hold its shape for very long.
That one rose in the middle.....that's the only one I was happy with....! LOL
All those flowers took up pretty much all of course 2 (along with colorflow birds...which were cool..but i dont see me using it much) and in the finale class u learn how to do basket weave and u stick all the flowers in it ( I made new ones)
I used it as my aunts bday cake.


OH I should update that I got a new baby during this time that helped me make all that buttercream and cake

shiny!!!
i have a few more cakes to show off....from course 3 but I'm wrapping that class up next week so I'll post it as one big post.....


Oh Imade a Perfectly Chocolate cake for my sis as well:

ooooh decadent
definitely on the menu....I think the best compliment was walking past my lil cousin's (self professed chocaholic) room and catching her with a smuggled slice in her bedroom...."It's soo good!" she managed to say between bites LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment